Light Tent





Hi all...I’m baackk....(in case you miss me).

I’m truly sorry for the two months hiatus on this blog, was busy with lots of things (as usual) until I had a guilty conscience for not updating this blog for so long.

There’ll be no new handcraft item for today’s post, instead I’m going to share with you one of the important part of my handcraft showcase in this blog – Photography. Before I proceed any further I have to say that I am no expert in photography, I shot most of my product’s photos using my smartphone’s camera – which explain all those crappy pictures. lol.

I always have trouble getting the right picture – whether the image is out of focus, or the lighting is not enough, or an overexposed photo etc. So I did some research and Google recommends me few tips on how to take a better product photography. And here are the suggestion list (and my answer for it):

     1) Get yourself a good/decent DSLR camera
(Well, not an option. I’m going to stick with my phone camera for now until I have enough money to buy that second hand Canon EOS 1000D on display at the camera shop)

     2) Use adequate lighting, preferably natural light
(I shot most of my photos indoor at night after work so natural light is not an option. I did use some extra lighting but shadows and overexposure is still a problem for me)

     3) Use tripod unless you have a steady hand
(Oh I’ll use my steady hands – its a bit sweaty though)

     4) Use a light box/tent
(Now thats might just work...hmmm)

So I decided to try recommendation #4 to improve my photo quality. In case you don’t know what a light tent is, I save your Googling time with the explanation below:

The Society of Wedding & Potrait describe the Light tent as “ a tent like structure made of translucent material hung around a frame. The fabric diffuses the light coming from outside the tent so that highly reflective subjects placed inside the tent can be photographed without reflections.

Another description from Right Light Studios explains the light tent as “translucent fabric attached to a frame that surrounds a subject. Typically used to reduce reflection from highly reflective subjects. The light source is outside the enclosure, but the lens pokes through a hole in the fabric.

As what the description says, light tent is use to reduce the reflection of highly reflective objects – like those metallic/glass surface objects or shining jewelleries. It could also be use to eliminate shadows – something that I’ve been trying to do all this time.

And of course you can buy a light tent from Ebay or Amazon, or go DIY with the simple steps as shown in this Instructables. I will do something similar with that instructables, albeit differently. I’m going to construct a collapsible light tent using a box – so that I can pack everything up once I done using it. As for the materials:

          - A box I got from my network appliance
          - Some corrugated cardboards as the “wall” and “roof”
          - White papers to cover the inside of the tent
          - A Bristol Paper (now I know what it calls!) for the base
        -  A white cardstock (or manila paper as we call it here) for the “infinite” background
          - Light source – I use two 40W light bulbs, bright white




This is the box


This is the light source – don’t know what its call so I just named it bulb-holder-with-clip



The how-to-do-it process is quite simple that I just summarized it in one GiF image:




And that’s how I did it


This is how it looks like with the light bulbs on. Normally light tents have the light source located outside of the tent but I don’t want to cut a hole to the cardboard wall, so I just place the bulb inside. But doing so, I have to cover the bulb with white A4 paper to diffuse the light. This is important so that you do not overexposed your photo subject with the bright light.




I use my paper plant which i made sometime ago as the photo subject this time. And here are the shots taken with the light tent:









The photos might not be that great but it does save me time on photoshop editing. There are less shadows, a nice white background, and it looks brighter because the white walls and background reflected the white light from the bulb. Overall I’m satisfied with it and I hope that I can produce beautiful shots for my next craft project.


Till then, take care.



ardee


August 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment